It’s been a while since I participated in YA Highway’s Road Trip Wednesday so today’s post is going to be doing double duty. Today’s prompt results in my shortest RTW answer ever, though it was also one of the hardest to answer. Basically, they want you to write your memoir. In six words. Here’s what I came up with:
Standing on the shoulders of Giants
What about you? What’s your six-word memoir look like?
Now on to today’s #reverb10 prompt: December 8 – Beautifully Different. Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all the things that make you different – you’ll find they’re what make you beautiful.
I know I’m a weirdo and contrary and I just blogged about how being different is awesome, but this prompt makes me feel uncomfortable.
It’s not because I don’t think there’s anything differently beautiful about me. I know there is. (Most days) But y’all don’t come to this blog to read me bragging about myself. And it’s also not because the prompt sounds like something a “personal life coach” would say at a “life actualization” seminar. (Thought it does. Which is fine if you like that sort of thing. Me? Not so much.)
Also, I think pretty much everyone has trouble identifying the good things that make them different, even when they really dig deep and try. Very few people ever see themselves clearly. So instead of really answering this prompt, I’m going to ask something of you:
Take a look at the people around you. What is different about them that you love?
- Chels: I love how you randomly break out into song or verse at the hint of a lyric. And you say things like, “I love you even if you’re a snake. But if you start slithering on the floor, I’m going to step on you. Cuz that’s what you do to snakes.”
- Nina: You say the sweetest things without any provocation and you always make me smile.
- Jen: My mind goes in really unique directions. Often, yours goes in the same direction as mine. As awesome as it is weird.
- JM: I’m pretty sure you know the words to every song ever written. Except for the country ones, but don’t worry; I have those covered.
- Dan: You’re the most thoughtful (in the true sense of the word) person I know. You’re constantly sending us articles, taking pictures for us, introducing us to people that you just “think we should get to know.”
- Adam: You quote both Terry Pratchet AND Taylor Swift on your Facebook profile. And you so are “as cute as my facebook pic makes me out to be.”
- Erin T: You think that me making analogies like “Commonwealth is to Andromeda as the Federation is to Star Trek” is awesome.
- Pretty much every writer friend I have: It takes dedication to finish a whole novel. It takes courage to put it out there for others to critique. It takes resilience to bounce back after a rough rejection. Not many people have one of those, not to mention all three. Rock on!
- I really could go on for a long time, but I think that’s enough sap from me for a week or two and it’s getting close to midnight.
This post is part of my #reverb10. Visit their website to learn more.