Sarah N. Fisk is a literary agent at the Tobias Literary Agency, representing all genres in Middle Grade and Young Adult as well as adult science-fiction, fantasy, and romance. Sarah is a former mechanical engineer who made the switch to publishing in 2011. They have worked in the publishing industry as an editorial assistant, author’s assistant, publicist, and art director. Sarah is a former Pitch Wars mentor, board member, and Agent Liaison. They host the podcast Queries, Qualms, & Quirks and are one of the founding members of Disability in Publishing.
More about my experience: I was a Pitch Wars mentor since 2012 and an intern at Fuse Literary before joining Tobias in 2021.
- Young Adult (all fiction genres)
- Middle Grade (all fiction genres)
- Adult Romance
- Adult Science Fiction, Fantasy, and other Speculative Fiction novels except for hardcore horror
Particular Areas of Interest:
- atmospheric fantasies
- speculative mysteries
- books that challenge societal norms, especially gender norms
- personal interest in stories featuring queer characters
- personal interest in characters with disability, neurodiversity, chronic illness, or mental health challenges
- great or complicated sibling relationships
- small town or midwestern settings
- intriguing villains
- mysteries woven into other genres
- characters I can’t get out of my head
- smart heroines
- con artists who are not cis men
- books that are compulsively readable
For Adult Romance
- Pretty much all subgenres that are traditionally published
- but historical needs to have a high concept, a nice hook, and/or a great voice for me
- I prefer romance books with a medium or high heat level, or a lot of sexual tension
- No pregnancy or baby-based storylines, please
- Romance has a happy romantic ending, by definition
Not for me:
- Hardcore horror
- I am not interested in stories that center around who gets to rule an empire
- Not interested in stories that center around sexual assault or have on-the-page rape scenes
- No Military Sci-Fi, please
- Graphic Novels
- Portal fantasies unless it’s really unique
- Stories set in recent historical times (80s, 90s, aughts) need to have a solid reason for the time period for me
- graphic novels
- Any adult genres not listed above (i.e. non-speculative books need to be genre romance. other adult genres that “have a romance” are not for me.)
- Disabled characters who serve solely as an able-bodied main character’s catalyst.
- If the main motivation is related to being a parent, it’s probably not for me.
- Romances between a minor and a non-minor that are not critiqued on-the-page
If your book sounds like something I would like, please submit via this form. If you’re not sure if your book would be a fit, as long as it fits in the “Basics” section, go ahead and submit!
I assume that all submissions are simultaneous. There is no need to inform me of full requests from other agents. Please inform me if you have received an offer of representation from another agent.
My profile at the Tobias Agency website
Goodreads list of books that are very much my taste
Successful queries from Queries, Qualms, & Quirks
What honorific (Mr., Ms., etc) do you prefer?
I very highly prefer no honorific. Feel free to address correspondence to me using my first name.
Do you take previously self-published books?
It’s not a hard no, but to take on a previously published book it essentially has to be one of the best books I’ve ever read in my life. If you have something new, please submit that instead.
I submitted but made a mistake. What should I do?
If you make a small mistake, there is no need to message me about it! We all make mistakes and I will not hold it against you. If you make a big mistake, like forgetting to copy your pages in, please withdraw and resubmit.
Are comp titles required to submit to you?
They are not required, but if you have some, they can be helpful.
Do you expect the query letters to be personalized to you?
There is no need to personalize queries to me. However, if your book has an element listed in my particular areas of interest, please do mention it!
Do I have to disclose my marginalized identity(s) in the query?
Absolutely not. However, if you do, I will not disclose it to anyone else without your direct consent and I will never pressure you to disclose it to anyone.
How long should I wait to hear back on a query? Do you respond to all queries?
I respond to all queries and am currently running at about a 6-week response time. I occasionally tweet about where I am in my inbox, which people also add to my Query Tracker page. There is no need to nudge me unless I’ve said I’m past a certain date and you submitted before then.
Can I resubmit if I’ve made significant revisions?
Yes. Please indicate this in your query letter, so I don’t think it’s an accidental resubmission of the same material.
Can I email/DM/message you to ask if a project might be a good fit for you before querying?
No. If it fits these guidelines, please just submit a query via the form. I will not respond to pre-queries.
Would you be interested in speaking/teaching/taking pitches at conferences and workshops?
I’m very much an extrovert and love speaking, teaching, taking questions, and taking pitches at conferences. Please email me if you would like to invite me to yours.
If you need help filling out the query manager form, or need to submit via email instead, due to a disability, please don’t hesitate to email me. If you do not need help with accessibility, do not use this email address for query updates or questions — use QueryManager to send these notes.
4/13 – Agent Office Hours with Tobias Literary Agency agents – Virtual
4/28-29 – Oklahoma/Arkansas SCBWI Spring Conference 2023 – Tulsa, OK
5/4-7 – Atlanta Writers Conference – Atlanta, GA
5/13 – Florida Writing Workshop – Virtual
5/25 – Choosing a Publishing Path Workshop – Virtual
7/6-9 – Sleuthfest – Boca Raton, FL
7/27-30 – The Muse and the Marketplace – Virtual
February 24, 2023 – Book Sale
Erin Luken’s debut OUR SHATTERED MASKS, about a magical thief who cons her way onto an exclusive enchanted island for her biggest heist yet: stealing the source of all magic; but something sinister is happening behind the island’s enchantments—and she might not survive the magic long enough to steal it, to Camille Kellogg at Bloomsbury Children’s, for publication in fall 2024, by Sarah Fisk at The Tobias Literary Agency (world).
January 3, 2023 – Book Sale
Jenn P. Nguyen’s JUST ANOTHER MEET CUTE, about a girl who tries to track down the boy who saved her from a disastrous hike and succeeds, only to figure out too late she’s dating the wrong twin, to Jennifer Thompson at Scholastic, for publication in summer 2025, by Sarah Fisk and Natascha Morris at The Tobias Literary Agency (world English).
October 20, 2022 – Book Sale
Debut author Caitlin Rozakis’s DREADFUL, a high fantasy farce in which a man wakes up in in a dread lord’s destroyed lab with no memories only to discover he’s the evil wizard and must play along with his own nefarious plan, to George Sandison at Titan Books, for publication in April 2024, by Sarah Fisk at The Tobias Literary Agency (world English).
July 19, 2022 – Book Sale
Caldecott Award-winning WE ARE WATER PROTECTORS author Carole Lindstrom’s two untitled books, the first a debut middle grade which features life on the prairie from the perspective of a young Metis girl who assists as a spy against the government, in order to save her people’s land and way of life, to Mary Kate Castellani at Bloomsbury Children’s, in a two-book deal, for publication in 2024 and 2025, by Natascha Morris and Sarah Fisk at The Tobias Literary Agency (world).